Saturday, January 21, 2006

Tumours and Blankets

Today was another slow, knitty Saturday, with just a bit of alarm and boredom thrown in.

First, the alarm. I was in the bathroom, brushing my teeth when I thought I saw a tiny bug fly in front of my face, then another, and then a whole bunch. I was a bit confused, considering I have no fruit in the house, so where on earth were all the fruit flies coming from? Then, suddenly I realised that they weren't bugs, they were little sparkles of light, ringing everything I was seeing. They lasted a few minutes, during which time I thought that I might
a) pass out (though I didn't feel faint at all)
b) develop a sudden migraine.

Neither happened, so I'm left with the only logical explanation - I have a brain tumour. Shoot. Hope I can finish this blanket before I keel over or start having my psychic visions and get all distracted trying to inform the public of the impending disaster. Or whatever.

So I got on with my knitting. I decided to try out the Denise needles today. First, to give them a test run and kick the tires, as it were, and second, I wanted to try to get a decent look at how the blanket's coming. So I made the longest cord I could and stretched it out to take a look.


It's not too bad, but I can see places where I've made mistakes, and I have no idea what's up with these odd little bumpies.

They kind of make me wish that I'd made this from wool, so I could use the fabled magic of blocking to make this look all normal and flat and pretty. Think I can block acrylic? I might try.

As for the Denise needles - so far, I'm not in love, as are so many others. I think, though, that it's because I'm using the smallest sized needle. The problem comes when I have the cables full of needles and I try to move them along toward (or away from) the needle itself. When I'm on a row that has tighter stitches, it's terribly difficult to move them past the joins. So I've moved the whole shebang back onto the old Boye circulars for now, and Denise will have to wait until I start a different project altogether. Makes me a bit sad.

In other news - the weather is messed up. It was nice and warm yesterday, and then this morning, I woke to darkness and then snow and wind.

And then later the sun came out and it was beautiful again.

January? What?

No comments: