Friday, January 27, 2006

Ramblings

An Experiment

I'm going to work my way through my high school cds today. I'm starting with 1989 and I'm going to see if I can make it all the way through to 1993. I did it once, while I lived through those years, so I'm thinking I can take this on. I might just be beat down by Mariah Carey in the early 90's, though. Right now, it's "Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Collins, so we haven't hit the really hard core stuff yet. This first disk should be pretty manageable overall.

Power Down Songs

Every now and then, there comes along a song that just grabs you and makes you slow down and breathe a little slower, a little deeper. Think of the guy in Seinfeld with the 'Desperado' complex, with a little less comedic exaggeration.

Some of the songs that kind of prompt that for me are:
Everybody Hurts - REM
Poses - Rufus Wainwright
Hallelujah - just about everybody, but especially Jeff Buckley and KD Lang
Vincent - Don McLean

Yes, I do realise that I deserve to be mocked for this, but it's true and I love when these songs come on and I'm paying enough attention to get the effect.

But that moment of peace and calm reflection can come from many sources, not just from music. I get it sometimes when I'm driving along a long, windy road and see the sun shine just so across the fields, cutting through the mist, or sitting with friends in a moment of quiet. They're good moments to have.

No comments: