Monday, October 17, 2005

Falling Thoughts

The heat isn't turned on yet at work. When the guys in the office start wearing sweaters and cradling their hot mugs between chilled fingers, you know that things are becoming unacceptable. I honestly just huffed into the air to see if I could see my breath. I couldn't, but I did manage to dislodge the icicle from the tip of my nose, so it's all good.

Despite this, I'm still enjoying the turning of my part of the world into autumn. The air smells of leaves and fall, even in the city. I can't help but smile when I walk out to my car and have to move through a drift of leaves, crunching under my heels. The wind feels like life. I find I dress very differently in the fall. I love it so much, I want people to share in the joy. I want people to look at me and be reminded that it's fall. If I could, I would twine leaves through my hair and carry a hollowed out pumpkin as a rucksack. That would make me a crazy person right now, so I'll save it for when I'm old and eccentric.

The return of CBC has also prompted many smiles. I feel like my friends were gone away somewhere, and have now come home. To heck with hockey commentating, I've missed Andy Barrie in the mornings, Matt Galloway in the afternoons, and Stuart McLean Sunday lunchtimes. I laughed out loud on the Go train yesterday when the Vinyl Cafe closed out with 'Back in Baby's Arms' by Patsy Cline, dedicated to the labour minister.

I've learned not to trust certain people when they say something is 'just up the street'. Half an hour after leaving the Eaton centre, we walked into downtown Barrie for lunch. Well, maybe it wasn't quite that far. But lunch tasted great, even interrupted as it was by the man coming in from the street with half eaten street meat, aggressively demanding change, and then roaring unintelligibly at all and sundry when asked to leave. Ah, Toronto.

No comments: