Sunday, June 03, 2007

Knitters Doing Good. Again. Some More.

Kirsty of So Many Yarns is running a half-marathon to raise money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. She's looking to reach a goal of $4200, and has already got up to $2500. I had no idea there was such a thing as the leukemia and lymphoma society.

I will definitely be helping to reach that goal. I can't afford much, but, as Stephanie Pearl-McPhee points out, there's nothing like knitters to understand that one small action repeated many times gives big results.

As you probably know, my mum is currently battling lymphoma. You probably don't know that I've lost one dear friend to lymphoma in the past, and my cousin lost her husband to a terribly fast and brutally timed bout of leukemia that left her with a baby only two weeks old. I'm going to continue supporting the Canadian Cancer Society as much as I can, but any chance to encourage more people to get behind the fight, and to spread the word when people are taking big steps in that direction is a good opportunity.

Plus, there's yarn afoot. A chance to be rewarded for just being a good person is rare. Jump on it.

1 comment:

JRS said...

Thanks for letting us know. How is your mom doing, btw?

That's awful about your friend. One of my cousins must have had a similar type of leukemia. 40 years old, checked into a hospital on Thursday with flu-like symptoms, and died on Sunday. Cancer is truly terrifying. Thanks for letting people know how they can offer support!